Michael Plant

[mydnght]
>> I agree totally about using your experience as the guide, but then, how
>> do you know that you haven't been rooked for 30 years? I recently
>> talked with a friend about some of his "excellent" tea, but after
>> trying, I had to tell him that he was cheated.

[Mike]
> The answer is that "you don't know". Unless you have the experience
> to know mediocre from great you will never know if you have been
> cheated or not. Unfortunately it is a lesson that is often learned the
> hard way if ever learned at all. Until you have actually had
> "great" tea you have no idea what it really is. Those who are
> fortunate enough to have someone knowledgeable guiding them will be
> exposed to great tea, others have to learn the hard way.

[Michael]
Mike, very interesting indeed. I have someone quite knowledgeable to guide
me, and I've drunk some great teas. Curiously, some of these great teas have
not been to my liking. Conversely, some quite common teas have knocked my
socks off. The cost-benefit is hard to factor. Nonetheless, experience and
guidance will at least lead you to received wisdom.

[Mike]
> Since this business is so full of opportunistic middlemen and
> merchants, and there is so much mysticism surrounding Eastern tea, and
> there is such a lack of any real international standards, it all but
> makes it impossible for a layman to do much better.

[Michael]
Yup. And some of these opportunisitc middlemen are not unknown to us, eh?

[Mike]
> It is my understanding that there is work underway between some high
> level Chinese and American businessmen to come up with some true
> standards. Somehow I doubt that it will mount to much though as even
> native Chinese customers get taken in the Chinese markets, why should
> we think exports would be any better.

[Michael]
The last in the world I want to see are international standards, especially
involving American businessmen. The standards will be developed from market
models that can only lead to mediocrity and higher prices for it. No, I go
with your original contention that a guide and experience combined will see
you through. Beware hapless traveler, the evil guru.

Michael