Michael Plant

[Melinda]
>> Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo" quality?
>> Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo tube)
>> and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on what
>> you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as different
>> from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

[Rick]
> I have one whose bamboo flavor is unmistakable. I own several bamboo
> flutes, so have spent much of my life French-kissing the material, but
> even so do not think that anyone else can miss it. Think bamboo
> shoots. But there appears to be wide variability in these teas. I
> get the feeling that they are manufactured in "unregulated
> conditions", meaning out in the country around a campfire. Friends
> and I have found several tubes in the same shipment to vary wildly in
> taste, smell and appearance.

[Michael]
This gets interestinger and interestinger. Bamboo shoots? NOTHING like it,
*I think.* The quality that flies out at me is flower-reedy and, as Mike
had written, perfumey. This is unknown in other Pu'erhs. Mike also says that
the primary example I've used for this description is something of an
anomoly. Rick, you might recall sending along a "China Yunnan Famous Tea --
Aroma Bamboo Tea" (from the label) encased in bamboo. That one also has this
quality. I don't know what to say. Obviously there are wild fluxuations in
the bamboo effect, undoubtedly encouraged by a lack of regulation and
control. What can I say?

Let's here more.

Michael