Alex Chaihorsky

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:27:35 -0700, "Melinda" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo" quality?
>>Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo tube)
>>and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on
>>what
>>you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as different
>>from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

> Hi Melinda, also see my other post this morning that talks about the
> "bamboo component". The genre covers a wide range of teas. There is a
> big difference between teas wrapped and stored in bamboo versus teas
> compressed directly in bamboo and left there.
>
> Yes, you can indeed tell the difference between a bamboo sheng versus
> a regular sheng if the component is strong enough. I generally don't
> taste that component in the teas that are simply compressed and then
> stored in bamboo containers. The component is much more noticeable in
> the teas compressed directly into a bamboo cane and allowed to age
> there. I have tasted some shu bamboo canes where the component was
> very strong, and pleasurable, but it was the type directly compressed
> and stored in the cane.
>
> I have seen and tasted those so-called smoked-pipe bamboo, the ones
> where a stack of tablets is wrapped in paper and stored inside of a
> bamboo tube with a removable cap, some descriptions claim it to be
> compressed in bamboo and extracted and sliced. I don't buy that
> description.

Absolutely. bamboo is NEVER perfectly round inside - always elliptical. If
you fill bamboo with tea it will take the shape of internal hollow of
bamboo- you will be able to see many features like grooves and such on the
surface of such tea. Such tablets are always perfectly round, though.

If you inspect those tablets closely you will see that
> the leaves are not sliced or broken on the surface, the leaves on the
> surface are whole, they are clearly compressed into that tablet shape
> much like the mini-tuocha. I have my doubts that they ever saw bamboo
> before being packaged and stored.

I agree. To slice such a tad cylinder would be an enourmous waste of tea
during slicing.

Sasha.