Mike Petro

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:16:01 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>On that topic, regarding the latest canes we've been talking about and
>exploring elsewhere, could you talk more about the "bamboo" quality, which,
>it struck me soundly a couple days ago, was a *very* powerful element. If
>that was in fact the case, I'm not sure I'm all that fond of a "bamboo"
>taste component other than the quieter, less intrusive, and more integrated
>and balanced versions. What say you?

Regarding the "Bamboo component" I have found a very wide range of
noticeable flavor. The handmade nature of these teas seems to lend
itself to wide variations even within a given brand. I have
experienced everything from an almost perfume like thick fragrance to
a barely noticeable hint of something extra. For what its worth I
prefer a light influence on my sheng puerhs but a heavier influence on
my shu puerhs. The characteristics I associate with the "bamboo
component" are likened to grass, hay, and hints of grain.

Michael, the last batch of bamboo canes we shared was an anomaly in my
opinion. It seemed more like a heavily roasted oolong than a puerh to
me, albeit still tasty it was not typical.

The one noticeable exception to the variable consistency issue is the
larger diameter Menghai brand Dai Nationality puerh. The product is
very consistent from what I have seen. The Bamboo component is light
with the emphasis being on a sheng qualities rather than bamboo
fragrance. This one always comes removed from the bamboo cane and is
about 3 inches (6-7cm) in diameter. Seldom do you actually see the
Menghai label,look for it when you can, you can see an example at
http://www.teayn.com/teashop/product.asp?id=520

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.