rick

"Rupert" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> rick wrote:
>> "Rupert" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > Well, be that as it may, I have provided you with no further
>> > evidence
>> > for this view. I was surprised to hear monoculture-crop
>> > production
>> > referred to as "factory farming", because I have always
>> > heard
>> > this
>> > phrase used to refer to the intensive farming of animals. If
>> > he's right
>> > about the correct application of the word (which I'm not
>> > convinced of),
>> > then so be it. I have no problem with the idea that I
>> > support
>> > "factory
>> > farming", so construed. What I *desire* about myself - not
>> > "fancy about
>> > myself" - is that I contribute to as little animal suffering
>> > as
>> > possible.

>> =================
>> You're lying again....

> No, I'm not.

=================
Yes, you are, You've provided no such proof of your claims, and
by posting here you have proven that causing unnecessary animal
deaths are of no concern to you.

>> Afterall, here you are spweing your
>> nonsense on usenet again, killer.
>>

>> If anyone thinks that's not the case, I'm interested to hear
>> > what he has to say on the matter.

>> ===============
>> No you're not. You wave your hands and pretend that anything
>> that doesn't fit your brainwashing doesn't exist.
>>

> This isn't an argument.

=====================
LOL And yours is where?

>> > (1) The number of animals involved is greater, and
>> > (2) The suffering inflicted on each animal is greater.
>> > Perhaps (1) is false when we take into account all the
>> > animals
>> > killed
>> > by the plant production necessitated by animal food
>> > production.

>> ======================
>> Just use those that die for people food, killer. Once you
>> admit
>> that massive death and suffering occurs for your cheap,
>> convenient veggies, you've lost....
>>

>> But
>> > it's not false if we're only talking about the amount of
>> > plant
>> > production that would be necessary to support universal
>> > veganism. Davis
>> > estimates the death toll at 1.8 billion. More animals than
>> > that
>> > are
>> > killed in animal food production. And each animal suffers
>> > considerably
>> > more.

>> =======================
>> Where do you get this ly from, killer? Can you back up the
>> statement that all meat animals suffer more than any animal
>> killed for your veggies? Didn't think so.....
>>

> Yes, I can. I did it in a different post.

==================
No, you didn't. You can't prove a ly, killer.

>> > That's not a very reasonable interpretation of my argument.
>> > believe
>> > in a principle enunciated by David DeGrazia in "Taking
>> > Animals
>> > Seriously": Make every reasonable effort to avoid providing
>> > financial
>> > support to practices that cause or support unnecessary harm.

>> =======================
>> Really? Then why do you ignore that sentiment, killer?
>>

> I try to live in accordance with the principle. As I say, I'm
> interested to hear any suggestions you have about what's
> involved in
> living up to it, but you refuse to take my expressions of
> interest at
> face value and instead prefer just to spew abuse. Not very
> constructive.

===============
Because you have yet to show any real interest, killer. You keep
repeating the same tired old lys over and over.

>> I believe
>> > that, on any reasonable interpretation of this principle,
>> > this
>> > will
>> > require veganism or near-veganism. It's not altogether clear
>> > me that
>> > it requires me to stop supporting commercial agriculture.

>> ===============
>> That's only because it's too convenient for you to continue
>> it,
>> just as your entertainment comes befor actually caring about
>> animals.
>>

> No, it's because I have some doubts that boycotting commercial
> agriculture falls within the extent of "making every reasonable
> effort".

=====================
LOL Of course you do, it would require that you be
inconvenienced, eh killer?

Some efforts go beyond making every reasonable effort. Maybe
> these doubts are unfounded. Feel free to argue the point. I
> would also
> be interested in any thoughts you may have about how I can grow
> all my
> own food in my back garden.

=================
You can't. And more to the point, you won't. You're too
convenience, consumer oriented...

>> That depends
>> > on what's involved in "making every reasonable effort". I am
>> > open-minded on this matter. Maybe you can persuade me that
>> > "making
>> > every reasonable effort" does require that I stop supporting
>> > commercial
>> > agriculture. Or maybe you can persuade me that I should
>> > accept
>> > some
>> > more stringent moral principle, which would require me to
>> > stop
>> > supporting commercial agriculture. Go for it. But it
>> > requires
>> > some
>> > argument.

>> ====================
>> You're the one that made the argument, and you are the one
>> that
>> fails to abide by it.

> Yes, I did make the argument, and you haven't demonstrated that
> I fail
> to abide by it.

=======================
LOL You've been told there are meats that cause ar less death
and suffering than your veggies. You refuse to look up anything
about it.

>> Read above... You continue to support, no
>> make that reward, those that provide you with cheap,
>> convenient
>> food and entertainment at the cost of animal death and
>> suffering.
>>

> But I make every reasonable effort to minimize the animal
> suffering to
> which I contribute.

====================
No, fool, you don't. You just proved that yet again....

>> > Fishing? Fishing involves a fairly high death rate per
>> > serving
>> > of food.

>> =====================
>> LOL What a hoot! As opposed to say fake tofu meats? You
>> really
>> atre this brainwashed, aren't you?
>>

> Not necessarily as opposed to that, I was thinking more as
> opposed to
> vegetables and pulses. Whatever. All I said was I'd like to see
> more
> evidence. A pretty reasonable demand, wouldn't you say? Have
> you got
> any?

=====================
You aren't trying to read, are you?

>> > I would want to see some more evidence that fishing will do
>> > any
>> > good.
>> > And one problem with hunting is that not all of the animals
>> > are
>> > killed,
>> > some of them are just seriously maimed.

>> =============================
>> Far less than the number for your veggies, killer.
>>

> Any evidence?
> ===========

see below, killer...

>> So the amount of suffering and
>> > death caused per serving of food is higher than it appears
>> > at
>> > first.

>> =====================
>> And still no where near your death toll, fool.
>>

>> > Where do you suggest I go hunting, anyway? Or where do you
>> > suggest I
>> > buy my meat? And what is your evidence that this will
>> > actually
>> > *reduce*
>> > the amount of animal death and suffering I contribute to?

>> ====================
>> Again, you have proven that you lied when you claimed to have
>> done all the research needed. Not a surprise now, is it?
>>

> I didn't say I had done all the research needed. I said I had
> obtained
> some information and acted on the basis of it. Instead of
> iterating
> this utterly trivial point ad nauseam, why don't you actually
> respond
> to my requests for evidence?

======================
Why don't you actually support your claims with data? Afterall,
you made the claims.
See below for some data, killer.

>> > Consumes what sort of meat?
>> >
>> > Growing more of my own food seems like a better proposal.
>> > I'll
>> > consider
>> > that one.

>> ================
>> No you won't. You're too convenience oriented...
>>

> I'm looking into the possibility of growing my own vegetables.

=================
Looking, not doing, figures...

>> > Sure they are. But I'm not sure you've offered any practical
>> > suggestions that will definitely reduce my contribution to
>> > animal death
>> > and suffering, except possibly growing some of my own food.

>> ===============
>> Then you are either blind, stupid, ignorant or too far
>> brainwashed to understand, killer.
>>

> Right. I see. Well, perhaps you can answer my requests for
> evidence
> that your other suggestions actually will reduce my
> contribution to
> animal suffering.

You aren't even looking, are you? See, you prove that point
every post.