Rupert

Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
>

> > Dutch wrote:
> >
> >>"Rupert" > wrote

> > wrote

> >>It carries much more baggage than that.

> >>I realize that, because you don't fancy yourself as supporting "factory
> >>farming".
> >>
> >>Vegans typically have idealized views of themselves.
> >>

> > Well, be that as it may, I have provided you with no further evidence
> > for this view. I was surprised to hear monoculture-crop production
> > referred to as "factory farming", because I have always heard this
> > phrase used to refer to the intensive farming of animals. If he's right
> > about the correct application of the word (which I'm not convinced of),
> > then so be it. I have no problem with the idea that I support "factory
> > farming", so construed. What I *desire* about myself - not "fancy about
> > myself" - is that I contribute to as little animal suffering as
> > possible. If anyone thinks that's not the case, I'm interested to hear
> > what he has to say on the matter.

> You have ZERO basis for your belief that you
> "contribute to as little animal suffering as possible",
> other than the fact that you don't eat meat. You are
> committing a logical fallacy: the fallacy of Denying
> the Antecedent.
>
> If I eat meat, I cause the death and suffering of
> animals.
>
> I don't eat meat;
>
> therefore, I don't cause the death and suffering of
> animals.
>
> This is plainly false: you can cause the death and
> suffering of animals in LOTS of ways other than by
> killing them to eat them.

My claim is not that I don't contribute the death and suffering of
animals. It is that I contribute as little as possible.

> GIVEN that *all* you have
> done is refrain from (or stop) eating meat, you have NO
> IDEA how many animals you cause to suffer and die in
> other ways than eating them: you haven't bothered to
> check.

I have some idea. I'm always happy to find out more, and to hear
suggestions for how I can further reduce my contribution to animal
suffering.

> RAISING of animals, you dummy. We rear children; we
> raise animals and crops.

> >>Does it? How do you know? How much animal death and suffering results from
> >>cultivation, planting, spraying, harvesting, storage protection, etc, etc..
> >>

> > (1) The number of animals involved is greater, and
> > (2) The suffering inflicted on each animal is greater.
> >
> > Perhaps (1) is false when we take into account all the animals killed
> > by the plant production necessitated by animal food production. But
> > it's not false if we're only talking about the amount of plant
> > production that would be necessary to support universal veganism. Davis
> > estimates the death toll at 1.8 billion. More animals than that are
> > killed in animal food production. And each animal suffers considerably
> > more.

> >>I see, so it's fine to cause death and suffering of animals when it fits
> >>conveniently into your chosen lifestyle but not when it fits into mine.
> >>

> > That's not a very reasonable interpretation of my argument. I believe
> > in a principle enunciated by David DeGrazia in "Taking Animals
> > Seriously": Make every reasonable effort to avoid providing financial
> > support to practices that cause or support unnecessary harm. I believe
> > that, on any reasonable interpretation of this principle, this will
> > require veganism or near-veganism.

> You clearly have created lots of wiggle room for
> yourself with the vague word "reasonable". You have no
> standard for deciding what's reasonable.

It's DeGrazia who uses the word "reasonable", and it's hard to avoid
using vague words altogether, language being what it is. For a moral
principle to have some chance of being free from counterexample, there
usually has to be a certain amount of vagueness built into it.

I don't have *precise* criteria for what's reasonable, but I can say
*some* things about what the word does and doesn't mean.