Rubin

"Rupert" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dutch wrote:

>> > It's not a lie.

>> Yes, it is.
>>

> No, it's not. I didn't say vegans only boycott factory farm produce. I
> said the main point of veganism was to boycott factory farm produce.
> That's a claim about the *main* (not the only) motivation behind
> veganism. And it *is* the main point of veganism for me. Who are you to
> tell me otherwise?
>
>> > Most animal products are the product of factory farming.

>> And vegans boycott ALL meat, AND vegans consume factory farmed produce,

> I'm not convinced that using "factory farming" to cover monoculture
> crop production is a reasonable use of the term. If we decide that it
> is, substitute "animal products derived from intensively reared
> animals" for "factory farm produce". What does a word matter.
>
>> therefore "factory farming" is not the issue, it's a red herring.
>>

> Intensive rearing of animals *is* (the main part of) the issue.
>
>> > It is of
>> > course true that by definition vegans boycott all animal products;

>> Thank you.
>>
>> > my
>> > point was simply that the main part of the case for veganism is the
>> > case for boycotting factory-farm produce.

>> Vegans don't boycott factory farming, they boycott meat and other "animal
>> products".
>>

> In particular, they boycott products from intensively reared animals.
> My claim was that this is the main motivation for their diet and that
> there is a strong moral case for it.
>
>> >That gets you to
>> > near-veganism. A lot of people do go further, yes, whether you accept
>> > the rest of the case for full veganism depends on the individual.

>> It depends on to what degree you buy into the fallacy that boycotting
>> "animal products" eliminates one's complicity in animal death and
>> suffering.

> It depends on to what degree you accept that boycotting "animal
> products" *reduces* your contribution to animal suffering - and I
> haven't seen any reason to think otherwise yet.

>> > True. See this article for one possible defence of that.
>> >
>> > http://courses.ats.rochester.edu/nob...least-harm.pdf

>> That article is a mess.
>>

> Make a specific criticism of it.

>> > No, it doesn't.

>> Yes it does.
>>
>> > The usual moral defence of veganism is that it is the
>> > best way to minimize one's contribution to animal suffering. Nothing
>> > you have said disproves that.

>> If I followed a vegan diet I could lessen the toll of animal death by
>> supplementing my diet with fresh fish or game, possibly even free-range
>> pastured meat.
>>

> What's your evidence that that would lessen the toll of animal death?

>> > So what?

>> So factory farming, intensive monoculture farming is damaging to the
>> envirnoment and responsible for a lot of animal death and suffering.

> [...]

OK, think of it this way. The ONLY way to even come close to causing, or
contributing to, animal deaths is this: To live in the wilds somewhere, no
fire (possible forest fire), no electronics, liqueur, cigarettes, bug spray,
ad infinitum. The only thing you could eat would be some leaves, nuts,
berries etc., but not too much, animals compete for those same resources.
Maybe you could eat carrion, if you really wanted to.

Obviously, that is not feasible, as well as being pretty damn silly. So
your choice becomes: an industry that kills 1000s of animals per acre to
feed the minority, or an industry that kills dozens (tops) per acre for the
majority?

Now, you next main problem with the "suffering", vegan side or meat eater
side. You have no way to prove that all, or even a majority, of livestock,
suffer at all. By the same token, meat eaters use figures skewed or spun to
make their side look better. Terms like "up to" and "as many as". No
problem at all, the choice is an individuals to make. Preaching only makes
people dig their heels in.

You must admit crop production causes death and suffering, as any meat eater
will tell you some animals suffer because of their decisions. There is no
way to avoid it, from either side.

I have no problem with the "health vegan", that uses the diet for supposed
health benefits, they usually aren't preachy. It is the hippie vegans that
act like Jahova Witnesses and try to convert you using half the facts, and
half of those wrong, that make my ass pucker.