Peter Aitken

Default Whole salmon, doubt

"MEow" > wrote in message
> The local supermarket has whole salmons fairly cheap these days, so
> I'm thinking of buying one.
>
> The fish are gutted, but they still have skin and head.
>
> I'm wondering:
>
> It's way too big for one person, so I'm thinking of freezing some of
> it, since it's so cheap as whole, but should I cut it into steaks/what
> else it can be cut into before freezing it, or is it better to freeze
> the part, which I don't use immediately, in one piece?
>
> Can I use the head and tail for anything?
>
> Any other advice about a whole salmon?

Do you have any experience filleting fish? If so, you can remove the fillets
and freeze what you do not use. Or if it is big enough you can cut it
crossways into steaks and freeze those. But unless you have experience
handling a whole fish you might want to think twice. Salmon skin is
delicious broiled but that means you have to scale it. Fish head/tail/bones
can be used to make stock but salmon is rather strong and I do not think it
would make a good stock on its own.

--
Peter Aitken