Anthony

Default Whole salmon, doubt

"MEow" > wrote in message
> The local supermarket has whole salmons fairly cheap these days, so
> I'm thinking of buying one.
>
> The fish are gutted, but they still have skin and head.
>
> I'm wondering:
>
> It's way too big for one person, so I'm thinking of freezing some of
> it, since it's so cheap as whole, but should I cut it into steaks/what
> else it can be cut into before freezing it, or is it better to freeze
> the part, which I don't use immediately, in one piece?
>
> Can I use the head and tail for anything?
>
> Any other advice about a whole salmon?
> --

I don't have experience with a whole salmon, but I usually buy 10 lbs at a
time, which comes in couple of big pieces. I cut these into fillets of
about 1 lb, (there are two of us), and freeze them quite successfully. I
don't remove the skin until after cooking, when it is easy to do. You could
make fish stock with the bits and pieces. If you're keen!