Rupert

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
> > The main point of veganism is to boycott factory-farming, which causes
> > animals to lead miserable lives.

> That's a lie, vegans boycott ALL forms of animal products,
> not only "factory farmed" meat.

It's not a lie.

Most animal products are the product of factory farming. It is of
course true that by definition vegans boycott all animal products; my
point was simply that the main part of the case for veganism is the
case for boycotting factory-farm produce. That gets you to
near-veganism. A lot of people do go further, yes, whether you accept
the rest of the case for full veganism depends on the individual.

> > The animals who live on factory farms have to be fed with plant
> > products, the production of which will cause the death of wildlife.

> That's true, but meat can be obtained that requires little or
> no plant supplementation. Vegans oppose all of it.

True. See this article for one possible defence of that.

http://courses.ats.rochester.edu/nob...least-harm.pdf

> And the
> implication of that position is that it's "plant production" at
> the root of much of the animal killing in agriculture, a fact
> which confounds the moral presumptions of veganism.

No, it doesn't. The usual moral defence of veganism is that it is the
best way to minimize one's contribution to animal suffering. Nothing
you have said disproves that.

> > Animal products are an inefficient use of land,

> That depends on the land. A lot of land is not very arable
> but ideal for pasture.
>
> > so their production
> > will cause more death of wildlife than the production of plant products
> > to be fed directly to human beings.

> Not using non-arable land as pasture and grasses and raw
> grains as the foundation of the human food chain would mean
> a lot more intensive, (i.e. "factory") farming of plants.

So what?

> > As for the argument that ruminant-pasture food production causes fewer
> > deaths than some forms of plant food production, the following article
> > is worth a look:
> >
> > http://courses.ats.rochester.edu/nob...least-harm.pdf

> It's worth a look but not much more, it's full of fallacies,
> diversionary arguments and unsupported assertions.

Would you care to elaborate on your critique of it?

> Vegetarian diets are quite good, and efficient, where vegans
> go awry is falling for all the feelgood quasi-political nonsense.

What nonsense? Some vegans claim that following a vegan diet is the
best way to minimize one's contribution to animal suffering. I don't
see that you've offered me any reason to think otherwise.