Roy wrote:
> >My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
> >find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
> >motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
> >mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
> >bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options

> First you let go your sentimentalism.....Your old mixer is gone...
> Repairing an old and extinct mixer may cost you a lot of money that
> can be better invested on a new equipment.
> .Sell it to the junk shop or bury in your yard.....Put a fittting
> epitaph.....<g>
> Now
> You are looking for a 20 quart size mixer than is suited for
> breadmaking?....There are many second hand mixers as well as brand new
> ones of that genre......you just have to look for it. in bakery trade
> journals ...etc., classified adds .for bakery equipments...
> You may have to procure a different machine with a better performance
> than your "dead" one.
> Say a different mixing mechanism.... not specifically a planetary type
> as that is not the best for bread making; rather such as a spiral
> mixer, reciprocating Artofex type, .fork type French mixer , Z--blade
> mixer etc.....even the magic mill if they have the size capacity that
> you desire.. take your pick.....
> Roy

Roy, I agree that in this case repair is unlikely. A welding repair was
done about 10 years ago, but w/co. out of business for years, enough is
enough.

Secondhand's fine. And I don't object to something totally different,
as long as the size is appropriate, results are the same, and cost is
moderate. Thanks for the suggestions--I'll re-search.

Jan