Alex Rast

Default Guittard gourmet bittersweet

at Sun, 02 May 2004 07:48:35 GMT in >,
(Blake Jones) wrote :

>I realized on Thursday that your description of a chocolate that had
>very few other components detectable rang another bell with me: the 74%
>Bitter Dark Chocolate bar from Mes Recettes de Provence.

This is probably Nestle's 74%. Most companies buy their chocolate from
large manufacturers, since chocolate machinery is very capital-intensive.
With a name like "Mes Recettes de Provence", suggesting a small company
certainly not exclusively focussed on chocolate, and given that I've not
heard of them before, I'm making the educated guess that they use Nestle's
74%.

As you say, Nestle 74% does indeed taste very intensely chocolatey. As a
result, and as you might already guess, I rate it among the very top
chocolates. It's humourous: there are a fair number of artisanal chocolate
makers in Europe as well as the USA struggling to produce absolutely top-
grade 70%-class bittersweet chocolate, and yet most of them fall short of
corporate giant Nestle's offering. It also proves that corporate size isn't
an accurate predictor of quality - a large industrial concern can produce
fabulous chocolate as readily as a small artisanal chocolatier can produce
underwhelming chocolate.

--
Alex Rast