bc

wcb wrote:
> Roquelaure wrote:
>
> > I'm not familar with coal burning grills, as my mother always used gas.
> > But, since I've been out on my own for a number of years, I've wanted a
> > grill of my own, and finally got around to getting one. Gas is fine, but
> > I never really liked the taste as well compaired to the coal.
> > Now, my problem is that I can't get them to heat up properly. The other
> > day it took me 3 tries on my grill just to get them lit, and when I
> > finally DID get them lit, it took over an hour just to START ashing. I
> > finally gave up waiting (since all the instructions between the fluid and
> > the coals say it should be ready in a half hour) and threw the chicken on.
> > After ANOTHER hour of baking them, I finally gave up and stuck them in
> > the oven. 2 hours after that the coals were still burning, but just
> > barely, and STILL hadn't gotten up enough heat (I could actually touch the
> > grill with my whole hand the entire time I was grilling). I think this is
> > rediculous. I tried opening it up to get it more air, but it just goes
> > out, and I tried little air, but it just smolders. Anything in between
> > and I just end up cooking the food faster with my own body heat!
> > Any suggestions before I go out and get a gas grill that I don't want and
> > can't afford?

> Get a starter chimney. Dump your charcoal in, put two sheets
> of wadded up newspaper underneath and light. In ten minutes you should
> be ready to go.

Nothing wrong with the chimney, but I'd also encourage the OP to try
lump charcoal. It lights easily, burns hot, and a pile will get going
pretty fast with just a small parafin fire starter cube in the middle.
Wallmart has Royal Oak lump in my area and it's all I use in my GD. I
use a chimney for lump too if I want to sear a steak or something and
need to get a lot going all at once.

- bc