George

Default White Tuna

The wife took me out for the second time this month to our nearest,
hence favorite, Sushi Bar last Sunday. This time, we had only ice water
and the bill ran $45, not to be too mercenary.

First, we ordered the miso soup which we both love. They had a special
board off of which we ordered two different options of maki. Each were
excellent and had some new twists. Neither had nori. The first, which I
never was exactly sure how it was spelled - something like Katsio, had
tobiko on the outside of the rice, tuna & avocado inside with wasabi,
smoked eel on top with spicy mayo. The second was just called Fancy Maki
which included spicy tuna inside the rice, some green onion and bonita
flakes on the top of the sesame covered rice. I might be wrong on which
was which.

Not finished yet, we ordered tako (cooked) nigiri and a spider roll. The
tako we've had before and it was good, but cooked (missed the little
asterisk on the sheet) didn't do it for my raw fix. The spider roll I
had to have in honor of my grandmother whose favorite at the Jersey
shore in the summer was a soft-shelled crab roll. Very tasty indeed, but
now that I've had it, I'll wait to have it outside a sushi venue.

Remembering that I had seen "Mixed Japanese Pickles" on the appetizer
list, we ordered some of them. The only thing I think I correctly
identified was the diakon radish which was yellow and slightly sweet.
Then there was a green, salty pickle that looked like regular gherkin
sized pickle chips. Finally, a red pickle that appeared to be possibly
some type of cabbage, had a light vinegary flavor. They were easy to
eat, but I guess I expected more and will try something different next time.

Finally, not sure what to get next, but wanting something, I asked about
the uni. This visit they were out. I asked if when they bought it, they
ever had it from Maine. My itamae said that it came from Boston, which
likely had gotten it from Maine. I asked about toro which was listed as
seasonal and they had none. I was given an explanation, but I could not
quite understand what was said and didn't want to embarrass myself or
him by asking twice. So he suggested white tuna nigiri style. It was
very light in flavor and completed our luncheon date.

My question is whether "white tuna" is traditional Japanese and what
would it be called if it is? I searched a bit on the web where it was
only referred to as white tuna.

Sorry for being so wordy, just trying to relive the pleasure ;-)
George
--
The First Nation people call him "Walking Eagle" because he's so full of
shit he can't fly anymore.