Shaun aRe

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I made the most delicious dinner tonight!!!

..
<Snip>

> We ate mediterranean-style stuffed flounder, with a white wine-caper
> sauce, mashed potatoes, and a lovely green salad with an orange
> vinaigrette.
>
> Here's about what I did:

<Snip delicious sounding recipe that I've already fwd'd on to my wife!
Thanks.>

> Now, the sauce. It was good, but it wasn't what I was attempting to do.
> I wanted to make something like a white wine reduction, but although I
> simmered it for quite a while, it never really became sauce-like. More
> like a flavored butter.
>
> I used about 4 T butter, melted, about 1/2 c white wine, 2 T lemon
> juice, and some capers. I whisked everything together and cooked it on
> low for a while, and it tasted good spooned over the fish, but the
> consistency was simply that of melted butter, not quite as thick as I
> had hoped it would reduce to.

Hmmmm, well personally, OI would have had all but the butter in the pan
reducing, and when done down enough, added the butter cold, in pieces, and
almost beaten it in until it was thick and shiny - that's how I make my
white wine and crustacean shell reductions for prawn/shrimp/crab/langoustine
etc. Yup, I've never put butter in before reducing (unless it's been used to
sauté garlic/shallots/etc. in first, and then it I would use as little as
possible, and still whisk in cold butter afterward - I'm no expert by a long
shot (G help anyone thinks they are, heheh), but that's just how I've always
seen it done?!?)

Cheers muchly for the recipe - been looking for some new fish ideas ',;~}~

Shaun aRe