Andy

Default Fun at the supermarket!

Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
of fried zucchini.

I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
bun with juice. Awesome stuff.

Today at the produce market I decided I'd shop zucchini.

So I go in and don't know zucchini from eggplant from peppers from
whatever.

Two nice ladies are picking through the produce next to me. So, not
being the proud moron afraid to ask for directions without a map, I ask
them, "This is squash? I need zucchini. Is this the same thing?"

They nod yes, then one asks, "What are you making?" I said I wanted to
make fried zucchini.

The plot thickens. One of them asks me how I'm going to prepare the
fried zucchini. I blurted out "cornmeal then fried."

Momma (from here on out) told me to use the green squash, but then more
agony as she asks "How do you slice it?"

Grief, in the form of red blood running from my cheeks, I said, "in
coins"??

She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
bin.

She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them rest
in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in AP
flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."

She said that's the Italian way to do it.

We met up at the checkout. We talked about the procedure again, and what
was I cooking. I said I was making stuffed jumbo shells with 3-cheeses.

They both asked "when is dinner ready?"

I said "Well I was planning on 4pm, but whenever you're ready!"

If you've never seen two sweet Italian women blush...

For a brief moment in time, we were related!!!

Too nice.

Andy