Max Hauser

I don't know for certain that the inquiry was genuine (others have sometimes
been otherwise), but it may have been and anyway, in case of historical
interest, here is some background I wrote a couple of years ago.

--
The poor reputation of rosé wines in the US, which innovative wineries and
restaurants now struggle against, was established in the 1950s and 60s after

(After a query from an astute wine consumer who enjoyed a recent pink
wine -- Bonny Doon's "Gris de Cigare" -- and wondered why more restaurants
do not promote such.)

Some of these wines are very fresh and agreeable, and I have seen some US
wineries moving that way, and some regions of Europe have always made good,
and bad, ones. Bonny Doon's unusual product name is a combination of the
firm's longtime flippant red blend -- "Cigare Volant," flying cigar (French
counterpart of US idiom "flying saucer" -- the Italian is Disco Volante by
the way, which was also the name of the sinister Emilio Largo's hydrofoil
boat in the novel and film _Thunderball,_ in case you were curious, and even
if not); and the "gris" from the European tradition of "grey" grape names --
which sometimes spills over into the naming of pink wines in various places.

== Max

Footnote: The fictional hydrofoil motor yacht "Disco Volante" figured in a
posting about heavy use of brand names, likened to the writing of Ian
Flaming. Newsgroup rec.audio, 1989.