Aaron S.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:03:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

>2) Consistency: Red pepper flakes aren't appropriate in some recipes.
>Sometimes you need a powder. The flakes usually have seeds mixed in, and
>their hotness is not as consistent as the skin's.

I have 2 bottles of ground red pepper from Walmart. One old, one new.
It only cost 48 cents per bottle. The brands are Spice Classics and
5th Season, but they're actually just different names for the same
brand. What I don't like about it is that it sometimes seems to taste
more like salt than pepper. Is that just me, or does it actually have
salt in it? Or does red pepper do something to your taste buds to
make everything taste like salt a few minutes later?

The real question is this: If I buy a more expensive brand of ground
red pepper, will it definitely not have that salty taste? Or is there
any other reason why a more expensive brand might be worth the extra
money?