zxcvbob

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>
>>On 2005-06-08, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>

>>>Ground cayenne pepper is a kind of ground red pepper, but if you have
>>>some
>>>ground red pepper, it could be any kind of ground dried red pepper,
>>>including some that are quite mild.

>>Or, the spice company may just be a buncha twits. I recall seeing
>>one spice brand labeled 'ground red pepper' and upon further reading
>>of the label/ingredients discovered it was, in fact, cayenne.
>>
>>nb

> Well, a cayenne is a pepper and it is red when mature.

By calling it "Ground red pepper", they can substitute a different hot
pepper (like maybe japones or sanaam) if the the price is better or
there's a crop failure for cayenne peppers. Usually ground red pepper
will be cayenne, and I would say the two products are always interchangable.

Best regards,
Bob