Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Lamb Texture

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:45:40 GMT, (j.j.)
wrote:

>A friend, who's first and last experience with it was rack of lamb
>at a nice restaurant in San Francisco, says the texture is like eating
>a blood clot. (I didn't ask him how he knew what *that* was like.) I've
>only had lamb once -- a rather gamey tasting leg of lamb at a friend's
>house when I was a kid. I don't recall anything more than not liking
>it. So what would you say the texture of lamb like? Is it more similar
>to beef or to chicken or is it a texture unto itself? I'd like to try
>some lamb chops, but the concept of eating a blood clot is a bit much
>for me... ;^)

I can't imagine any treatment that would make a rack of lamb resemble
a blood clot. The rack is a rib roast.

The rib-eye is tender red meat, best very rare IMHO.

A leg of lamb is also tender meat best roasted rare. Boned and
butterflied, it can be grilled on an outdoor grill, which results in
widely different degrees of doneness, because of the uneven thickness.
Great when you have people who all want different doneness.

The shank is marvelous braised slowly in its own juice, surrounded by
many cloves of garlic.

There is also a big difference between baby lamb, spring lamb, and
winter lamb. The darkness of the meat and strength of flavor
(gaminess) increases through the year.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light