Jim Kurck

Dear Mr. Sorenson,

Pardon me for butting in, but your posting contains a statement that I
believe set generations of dead chemistry teachers spinning in their
graves. In order that they might once again have peace, I write to point
it out.

In article >,
"Graham Sorenson" > wrote:
[...]
> Nitrogen is heaver than oxygen so if you "flush" the container with nitrogen
> gas then there is no oxygen in it to oxidise the coffee oils.

While nitrogen flushing does indeed prevent oxidation, nitrogen is in
fact lighter than oxygen. The molecular weight of nitrogen is 28 grams;
the molecular weight of oxygen, 32 grams.

Nitrogen flushing eliminates oxygen, and hence oxygenation. But not for
the reason you gave.

Yours in the service of compulsiveness and fresh coffee,

Jim
--
Jim Kurck
professional faultfinder "Computing is full of