C Mason

Otto Bahn wrote:
> "Jenn Ridley" > wrote
>
> Hi. I am another recent lurker in this chatroom.

Hi, I was lurking here on the internet too and happened to find this on
google.

>>>I'm assuming that "rec.food.baking" stands for Recreational Food Baking...

>>Not quite. Rec is Recreation, nor recreational.

> Not quite, the wikipedia web page says Rec is for "recreational activities".

Which is just a long, overly verbose way of saying "recreation". So the
penultimate poster was technically correct, although marks should be
deducted because they didn't check their facts before posting nonsense
to unsenet (as one should always do).

>>Rec. is one of the
>>original "Big 8" in Usenet newsgroup hierarchy (soc, sci, comp,
>>humanities, misc, news, talk, rec) and food was put in the rec area,
>>partly because it didn't really fit anywhere else, and partly because
>>many people see preparing food as a recreational activity.

> Actually there were originally only a big six, and three got added later.

Yeah, and "soc" was never that big at the time so it was more of big
four and the other ones.

>>And, of course, just because it's in the rec. hierarchy doesn't mean
>>that people can't make a living doing it. (rec.arts.sf.* have more
>>than a few published writers and editors participating,
>>rec.crafts.textiles.* have professionals in the field participating.)
>>Unless it's a moderated list, there's nothing that keeps the pros out
>>of the rec.* groups.

Yes, but if they do something recreational for a profession, what do
they do in their spare time? and surely the time constraits on a
professional would limit how much time he or she could spend checking
facts and posting nonsense to usenet.

>>>I don't really understand the consept of the name. It occurs to me that a
>>>good number of the "regulars" are really serious bakers. I guess that what
>>>I'm trying to figure out is where the recreation in "rec.food.baking" comes
>>>in.

>>A lot of people on RFB do cook/bake for enjoyment, not for a living.
>>Probably at least some of the "serious" bakers enjoy it as well.

> I would think professional cooking would be off topic here.

So the polite thing to do if you must post about professional matters on
a rec group is label your posts, e.g. [OT](pro baker), so people know
your comments are coming from someone who does baking for a living and
not for the enjoyment which may or may not be part and parcel of your
work place environment (i.e. bakeries).

>>>I noticed a while back that someone wrote in something about something
>>>other than baking... and was flamed for doing so....

>>Most Usenet groups are less than tolerant of off topic posts. Some
>>are more tolerant than others. For a quick overview of Usenet and
>>newsgroups in general, see Wikipedia
>><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup>.

> The let sex and drugs on the Usenet?! I need to get some kiddie filters installed.

In which newsgroups are sex and drugs off topic, they can be applied to
just about any situation and go especially well with an assortment of
baked goods on hand. Flaming on the other hand is an abuse of newsgroup
netiquette and can have you reported to an ISP or Google.

And remember, if you must post binaries, please do so to an officially
sanctioned binary group and then post a link to the pron in the group
where you want to demonstrate your "skills in the kitchen".

You are right though, you shouldn't let your kiddies touch the internet
with a 10 foot pole unless it has been filtered.

> --oTTo--

Are you oTTo from oTTo's bakery and coffee shop in Rochester MN?

All the best,
CM