Stark

In article >, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> "Stark" > wrote in message
> > So when the dough is ultra-sticky do I just keep adding flour or handle
> > it with a scraper and repeatedly oiled hands.
> >
> > --

> Too warm a liquid will produce a sticky product. A warm dough is just
> sticky. Have you been trying to hurry things along with a warmer than usual
> liquid?
> Janet

I proofed my yeast in 110 deg. water for 15 minutes, as per
instructions, so the water was probably around 90, maybe, when I added
an egg mixture, then gradually the flour. I was making yeast rolls.

After spoon-mixing until smooth I glopped it onto a floured board and
tried to knead. Could only handle it with a bench scraper. After gently
slapping it around for a while I got the dough into an oiled bowl for a
rise, 90 minutes until "doubled" but the rise was a flat one.

Trying to roll dough into small balls was tough since the dough was
still ultra sticky. Let rise again. Then cooked. The rolls were
delicious, if slightly flat and uneven in size--shaper's problem.

Working with sticky dough is simply not pleasant. If this is the plight
of every baker then I may return to Sister Shubert's yeast rolls.

Oh, my yeast was Red Star, one of those quick rise kinds and it's maybe
a year old in the fridge. The proofing produced only a dozen or two
small bubbles. Seemed lazy to me, but what do I know? Should quick-rise
yeast be proofed at all and should expect more action, bigger bubbles,
a froth?