Janet Bostwick

Default English Muffins

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
ea.net...

> On Sun, 22 May 2005, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

>> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message
>> > Regarding those muffins:
>> > What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
>> > batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
>> > separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
>> > rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut
>> > Scottish
>> > oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.
>> >
>> > Dave

>> rice flour. Comes in white or brown.

> Doesn't get too sticky? That would be perfect for me...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

No, it's perfect for non-stick. Just be careful to not use a lot, you just
want a light dusting, otherwise you get the crunchy feeling in the mouth.
Use it also for dusting dough that you are putting in baskets or linen to
rise, it gives great release. If you want the flour markings from the
basket, sprinkle the basket lightly with the rice flour then regular flour
over that. I use a small, fine mesh strainer to sprinkle the rice flour
evenly.
Janet
Janet