D. Gerasimatos

In article > ,
Tom S > wrote:

>I'm much more offended by that than by the misappropriation of European
>place names.
>
>IMO if a California wine says "Napa" anywhere on the label, it should be
>made from fruit grown in Napa. Period.
>
>A European place name on a (say) California wine is an obvious nod and a
>wink to a style from the Old Country - sort of an homage. I don't fret
>about the term "California Champagne" because everybody knows exactly what
>that means, and is aware that the wine isn't from Champagne, but is merely
>made in the style of wine from Champagne. I know that really irritates the
>French, but AFAIC it's pretty much a non-issue anymore. Most wineries no
>longer do it.
>
>OTOH, I'd expect a California wine labeled "Napa Ridge" to be from a
>vineyard overlooking or in the Napa Valley. The French (e.g.) are very
>picky about such issues within their Country, and rightfully so. They sure
>as hell wouldn't allow the words "Rhone" or "Burgundy" to appear on the
>label of a bottle whose contents came from the Midi. Neither should crappy
>California wine from the Central Valley be permitted to use the word "Napa"
>on its label.

Well, it is a brand name. You have to be careful with that. What if I
start a winery in Santa Barbara and call it, say, "Santa Barbara Winery"
(which really exists, of course). Do all of the grapes in that wine have
to come from Santa Barbara? What if I call it "Ojai Vineyard" (which also
obviously exists)? Do all the grapes have to come from Ojai? Clearly, most
of Ojai Vineyard's fruit is not sourced from Ojai.

If I start a new winery and call it the "Pasadena Winery" even though I am
sourcing my fruit from Rancho Cucamonga is that a problem? What if, say, 100
years from now Pasadena starts growing highly acclaimed wine grapes and the
region surpasses Napa in prestige? Do I have to give up the "Pasadena Winery"
name because my fruit comes not from Pasadena but from Rancho Cucamonga?

This is the same non-issue that exists, IMO, when a restaurant calls
itself "Little Sicily Italian". I don't see why it's a problem.

Dimitri