Karen Sexton

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:17:15 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:41:41 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:
>

>>>However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
>>>My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
>>>stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
>>>advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
>>>back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

>>I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
>>recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
>>is a warning sign?

>Hi karen
>
>Splenda is irrelevant in this context. Actually the right
>sort of chocolate - 70% cocoa, not too much sugar - is good
>for you in moderation.

That's what I do.

> That word - moderation - may
>eventually drive you nuts but it's the secret to controlling
>this beast. See my sig:-) Extremes and diabetes are
>unhealthy partners.

>In the recipe you initially wanted, the problem is not the
>chocolate, it's the things that raise your blood glucose
>levels, the carbohydrates and the sugar.

I was looking for chocolate recipes w/o sugar- yes, I know flour is a
carb.

> It's not strictly
>chemically correct, but I treat sugar as just another fast
>acting carb, like flour, potatos, rice and the other
>starches.

So do I.

> NoneGiven's recipes were far superior to the norm
>and very lowcarb. Personally I found that it was easier to
>simply use alternatives to cake and cookies - because the
>low-carb ones won't always be available to "feed the habit".
>You may be different.
>
>As to warning signs, hopefully you will never get any
>physical symptoms if you use regular blood tests (whether
>home-test BGs, or glucose and HbA1c at your doctor's) to
>catch things early if they do appear.
>
>I'm not trying to be alarmist, just cautious. Your genes and
>your excess weight

My "excess weight"? I beg your pardon-:-) I was 20lb overweight
until lately, now I'm only 10lb overweight- just wanting to be able to
wear some cap sleeves before I'm 60 years old:-)

>are enough to advise you to ensure that
>your doc checks your BGs and A1c regularly.
>
>This part is purely my opinion (as was most of the rest:-)
>If you don't want to buy the meter (they're cheap, the
>strips are the expense) then at least cut the starches and
>cakes in your diet. If you like fruit, don't overdo it (high
>carbs), berries are the best form, and treat fruit juices as
>just as dangerous as sugared sodas.

Yeah- I know- I see mothers starting their babies and toddlers on
fruit juice because they don't want to give them sodas- not good.

>I know you just came for a recipe - and got a lot more than
>you expected. Sorry about that:-)

I fogive you:-)

KS