Karen Sexton

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:20:11 -0500, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
.. .
>> About my BG level- I've had so many glucose tolerance tests (the 7
>> hour one) and it always comes out ok. Just once they said it was low,
>> but not low enough to be considered hypoglycemic.

>You can be well on the way toward getting diabetes and they might still tell
>you you're ok.

Oh great Now I'm paranoid! And all I wanted was good recipes:-)

> You need to know the numbers and times of the results to
>know for yourself. Having the symptoms you mentioned, I would want to take
>action now to avoid a dx in the future, by tracking what different foods in
>my diet were doing to my BGs and adjusting my meals to minimize BG spikes.

Aren't those glucose meters expensive? there are diabteics who can't
afford them.

>Every time your BG goes high it could be causing damage to your body, before
>your fasting #s or A1c reaches the dx criteria, even before the OGTT reaches
>it. I think you have to be 200 to be dx but I feel bad >140 and try to stay
>below that at all times.
> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

I try real hard to not let myself get hungry, so as to avoid low-blood
sugar- and to not eat a ton of carbs at meals, and try to eat healthy
snacks - somehing with fiber in between meals to prevent lows and
spikes- my husband learned that from a trainer who was teaching him
about working out. That was about 20 years ago- I hope I've done ok-
it's just that when you get older you think- "This is the only body
I've got- it has to last me"...

>> I just think that since I've been dieting, I got my system used to not
>> having sugar, and now it bothers me in some way.

>If your diet has been serving to lower your average or PP BGs by reducing
>the amount of fast carb you are eating, it is possible that your body was
>accustomed to running with higher BGs than healthy and now you are getting
>lower BGs and so you notice the difference when you eat the fast carb and go
>too high.

So that would be good? I don't know what a PP is

KS