Karen Sexton

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:56:51 +1000, Alan S

Karen S. wrote:

>>I hope I'm not a T2 in the making, but that's why I watch my sugar- I
>>don't eat that much flour or white starches. I've never used almond
>>flour, so I'll try to find some.
>>
>>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>>do? I've tried to get her to go to weight-watchers, to no avail.
>>

>Hi Karen
>
>First, on willpower, are you referring to Mum or yourself?

My mother.

>Obviously you can't give her willpower and there's a limit
>beyond which advice becomes nagging.

I know that all too well.

> I don't have any simple
>answers beyond setting her an example and some oblique
>persuasion.
>
>However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
>My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
>stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
>advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
>back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
is a warning sign?

>One thing that I've seen repeatedly since joining these
>groups is that those diagnosed early in the progression find
>it easier to gain some control using diet and exercise.

My grandfather was T2 and controlled it with diet.

>So, don't become a hypochondriac but occasional tests an
>hour after you eat may provide some warning messages.
>
>In the interim, I'd suggest "watching" the starches (flours,
>breads, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, corn products etc) as
>well as the sugars and snacking on nuts instead of cakes and
>cookies.
>
>Also, congratulations on starting to lose weight - what I
>just said won't hurt there either.

I'm trying- you all know how hard it is to lose weight after 50!

>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

KS