Karen Sexton

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:24:08 GMT, Jennifer
> wrote:

>Nicky wrote:
>
>> "Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
>>
>>>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>>>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>>>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>>>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>>>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>>>do?

> You say your mother is very depressed.
>
>Depression is a physical / chemical disease. It can be helped by a
>combination of medical and psychological intervention.
>
>Perhaps what you call her lack of willpower may be her clinical
>depression.

She has been under the Dr's care for decades and takes
anti-depressants which also make it harder to lose weight, so I can't
fault her- I know what it's like- I have also inherited the gene for
depression and anxiety. On one hand, I can see that at 76 she might
as well eat what she wants- it just makes me feel burdened that she
can't enjoy her life because of her weight.

KS