Tiger Lily

and to Alan's fine post may i add

eat lots of 'free veggies' which can be found in
my sig file......... go to the web page :-)

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Alan S" >
wrote in message
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:08:34 GMT, Karen Sexton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:15:46 +1000, Alan S
> > wrote:

intake and trying to lose

> >><snip>

(grandfather) - but so

had it. I don't feel good

> >>Hi Karen
> >>
> >>I'm sorry to say that, with that genetic

background, and
> >>those symptoms, I don't think your opening

comment will
> >>remain one you can make for too much longer.
> >>
> >>Particularly if you continue looking for good

chocolate cake
> >>recipes, unless you can find ones that also

have no flour as
> >>well as no sugar.
> >>
> >>Have you been tested by your doctor for

diabetes? If not,
> >>I'd suggest you ask specifically at your next

regular
> >>appointment.
> >>
> >>I'll echo NoneGiven's advice. Cheap blood

glucose meters are
> >>available - let people here know where you

live and they can
> >>offer advice there. Even if you aren't

diabetic, you may be
> >>surprised at your blood glucose readings at

the times you
> >>are "feeling sluggish".
> >>

> >>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

> >I hope I'm not a T2 in the making, but that's

why I watch my sugar- I
> >don't eat that much flour or white starches.

I've never used almond
> >flour, so I'll try to find some.
> >
> >My mom is 76, and even though she has no

diabetes, I am concerned- she
> >is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar

and starch. She knows
> >what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the

willpower to stop (she's
> >very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We

both have physicals
> >regularly, but if a person doesn't have the

willpower, what can you
> >do? I've tried to get her to go to

weight-watchers, to no avail.

> Hi Karen
>
> First, on willpower, are you referring to Mum or

yourself?
> Obviously you can't give her willpower and

there's a limit
> beyond which advice becomes nagging. I don't

have any simple
> answers beyond setting her an example and some

oblique
> persuasion.
>
> However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is

not the point.
> My general advice would be to buy that meter,

not to get
> stressed about it but to give yourself the

advantage of an
> advance warning if the time comes when you do

need to come
> back to us as a fully qualified member of the

club.

> One thing that I've seen repeatedly since

joining these
> groups is that those diagnosed early in the

progression find
> it easier to gain some control using diet and

exercise.

> So, don't become a hypochondriac but occasional

tests an
> hour after you eat may provide some warning

messages.

> In the interim, I'd suggest "watching" the

starches (flours,
> breads, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, corn

products etc) as
> well as the sugars and snacking on nuts instead

of cakes and
> cookies.
>
> Also, congratulations on starting to lose

weight - what I