Alan S

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:08:34 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:15:46 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:16:53 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:
>>
>>>hello,
>>>
>>>I'm not diabetic, just controlling my sugar intake and trying to lose
>>>weight.

>><snip>
>>>
>>>There is Type II onset diabetes in my family (grandfather) - but so
>>>far my mother (76) and uncle (93) haven't had it. I don't feel good
>>>when I eat sugar, just sluggish, mostly.
>>>

>>Hi Karen
>>
>>I'm sorry to say that, with that genetic background, and
>>those symptoms, I don't think your opening comment will
>>remain one you can make for too much longer.
>>
>>Particularly if you continue looking for good chocolate cake
>>recipes, unless you can find ones that also have no flour as
>>well as no sugar.
>>
>>Have you been tested by your doctor for diabetes? If not,
>>I'd suggest you ask specifically at your next regular
>>appointment.
>>
>>I'll echo NoneGiven's advice. Cheap blood glucose meters are
>>available - let people here know where you live and they can
>>offer advice there. Even if you aren't diabetic, you may be
>>surprised at your blood glucose readings at the times you
>>are "feeling sluggish".
>>

>>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

>I hope I'm not a T2 in the making, but that's why I watch my sugar- I
>don't eat that much flour or white starches. I've never used almond
>flour, so I'll try to find some.
>
>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
>do? I've tried to get her to go to weight-watchers, to no avail.

Hi Karen

First, on willpower, are you referring to Mum or yourself?
Obviously you can't give her willpower and there's a limit
beyond which advice becomes nagging. I don't have any simple
answers beyond setting her an example and some oblique
persuasion.

However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

One thing that I've seen repeatedly since joining these
groups is that those diagnosed early in the progression find
it easier to gain some control using diet and exercise.

So, don't become a hypochondriac but occasional tests an
hour after you eat may provide some warning messages.

In the interim, I'd suggest "watching" the starches (flours,
breads, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, corn products etc) as
well as the sugars and snacking on nuts instead of cakes and
cookies.

Also, congratulations on starting to lose weight - what I
just said won't hurt there either.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.