Priscilla Ballou

In article t>,
Jennifer > wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
> > "Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> >>My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
> >>is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
> >>what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
> >>very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
> >>regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
> >>do?

> You say your mother is very depressed.
>
> Depression is a physical / chemical disease. It can be helped by a
> combination of medical and psychological intervention.
> Perhaps what you call her lack of willpower may be her clinical
> depression.

Very very true. Inability to get things done or to take care of oneself
is a big hallmark of depression for some folks. Believe me -- I know
all too well what I'm talking about! Your mother needs psychiatric
intervention. Depression is a serious illness and has very negative
effects on the body -- brain and cardiac system among others.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong