Nicky

"Karen Sexton" > wrote in message
> My mom is 76, and even though she has no diabetes, I am concerned- she
> is terribly overweight and eats so much sugar and starch. She knows
> what she's doing is bad, but doesn't have the willpower to stop (she's
> very depressed and eats "comfort foods". We both have physicals
> regularly, but if a person doesn't have the willpower, what can you
> do?

Try a low-carb diet - if she wants to, some would say that she ought to be
able to eat what she wants at 76! It has two great benefits - first it's
appetite-supressing, so doesn't need huge amounts of willpower, and second
it breaks the cycle that often builds up, where you eat something starchy,
your body over-reacts in terms of insulin production, so you get hungry
quickly, eat something starchy... You might find you benefit too.

Of course, checking with a doctor first - particularly your mother - is a
good idea before starting any diet.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/76/72Kg