enigma

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Dr. Tsao, who works out of the federal Department of
> Agriculture and Agri-Food's lab in Guelph, Ont., said the
> results don't necessarily mean consumers will change their
> apple-eating habits, or that farmers should start producing
> only certain varieties.
>
> "Food is a very interesting thing. People don't always
> choose food by what is most nutritious," he said.

that's because Red Delicious apples are *nasty*! i think they
tacked "delicious" on the name to try & fool people.

> Dr. Tsao now plans to use his findings to work with
> companies in the apple juicing industry to create new
> products from apple waste. The juicing industry typically
> discards the peels, he said, which are rich in
> antioxidants. That material could be reworked and sold as a
> new kind of nutritional product for human or animal
> consumption.

duh! apple squeezings are already used in livestock feed. i
get huge bags of pressed (organic) apples for my steers. they
*love* it. and it's free because the orchard doesn't want it
(guess they don't understand composting)
lee