Gabby

"Chris" > wrote in message
news:Gj5le.887$SV3.90@trnddc03...

> "Gabby" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'd rather chew cardboard than a red or golden delicious apple,
>> nutritious or not. But Cortlands are right up there so I'll keep eating
>> those.
>>

> I agree about red delicious apples. Whoever named them must not have
> tasted them first! But I've had some very good golden delicious apples in
> season -- some grown in Washington, and some grown locally. I was
> surprised at how good they were.

Don't think I've come across a good golden delicious but I'll take your word
for it. DH usually buys Granny Smiths and I like those just fine. Mac are
a bit too sweet for my taste. Cortlands are fine, but my favorites 'grocery
store' variety is Gravenstein.

But back in the days of the dinosaurs when I was growing up there was a
variety of apples we knew as "August apples". These were green apples, kind
of mealy and very tart -- I've no idea what they were. We ate them
sprinkled with salt. It seemed that all the old houses in our village had
at least one tree of those; unfortunately, there is nary a one left. I
think the last time I ate an August apple was in P.E.I. about 17 years ago,
when we happened upon a tree in someone's front yard while out driving
around. We rang the doorbell and asked if we could buy a few. Needless to
say, we went home with a bag full and the guy's good wishes.