Vox Humana

"Rina" > wrote in message
> Dishwasher is fine, but I just got an AWFUL coffee Pot that says pieces

can
> be washed in the dish washer... DUH... I only run my dishwasher once a

day!
> and use the coffee pot a lot more than once. I would expect to do the same
> with a food processor.
>
> BTW I'm sorry, I didn't intend to hijack the "pizza " thread... it just
> happened.

Thread drift is normal for Usenet.

I sometimes use the coffee maker more than once a day. I just rinse out the
pot and dump the grounds. I don't wash it each time. There is nothing in
it that will go rotten and no one has drunk out of the pot - at least not in
my household. Therefore, I don't see any reason to wash it. Restaurants
don't wash the coffee maker between pots.

As for the FP, if I have a series of foods to prep, I try to do it in some
logical order to minimize washing the bowl. For instance, I might grind
some bread for crumbs, then chop the onion and celery, then grind the meat
if I am making meat loaf. There is no need to wash the bowl between jobs.
If I am making bread and grinding meat, I just pop on a clean bowl. I have
a Braun FP. It is very simple. There is a bowl, a lid, and pusher for the
feed tube. The are no complex interlocking parts in the lid like you find
on some models. If I need to do a quick wash between jobs, I simply put
some water and detergent in the bowl and wash it. The lid rarely gets dirty
as food doesn't tend to reach it. Again, if it needs a quick wash, I do it
with the bowl. I always have a sink brush handy. I use it to scrub the
sink and scrub dishes and pans. It is very useful and a good aid in
scrubbing sharp or irregular items like knives and your food processor
blade. I think you are over-thinking the hygiene aspect of this device. It
isn't any harder to clean than the bowl and beater from the stand mixer.
When it goes in the dishwasher, I use both the sani-clean and heated rinse
setting, so it gets subjected to very hot water. The dishes are so hot when
the cycle ends that I can't handle them. The Lexan bowl and lid easily
stand-up to the heat and detergent in the dishwasher. If you are concerned
about cleaning the bowl, make sure to find out how much additional bowls and
lids cost. In my case, that is about $20. For some machines you might be
looking at several times that amount for a second bowl.

I would buy another Braun FP if mine died, but since Gillette was bought by
Proctor and Gamble recently, and Braun is a subsidiary of Gillette, I am a
concerned about the future of Braun. As an alternative I would look at the
Wolfgang Puck FP from HSN. It looks great and there are two version. There
is a standard version and one that is a combination FP and blender. I would
probably get the dedicated unit. Here is a link:
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....=1693115&sf=qc