jimmyjames

Well, I'm quite a hand with a French chefs knife... I'm not going to say
that I as fast as a FP chopping, but I will say that by the time I cut up
onions, celery, peppers, etc., rinse and wipe the blade and put it up,
having neat evenly sized pieces, rings, etc, Depending upon How big a meal
I'm planning.... Not forgetting that a 14" knife will cut one or many
whatever with a stroke, I'm probably about even.
I do have a BE&DO food processor that I use for cheese, potatoes (hash brns
and chips) but if I'm just doing enough for a family meal, I just use the
knife. Plus, I'm tricky with the knife... flip it, balance it vertically
on the tip of my finger...
BUT I AM INTERESTED IN... making dough with the processor... I don't believe
that MY food processor (10 yr. old and small) will do the trick.
Went on Ebay and found them from $59 to $1000.00

> > Since I still don't have a food processor, I'm curious about food

> processors
> > but don't a clue what I'd use it for or where I'd put it.
> >
> > How long does it take to clean the food processor?

> You can think of a food process as a mechanized knife - with some added
> abilities. Therefore, a FP will slice, chop, mince, and grind. You can

use
> a FP to chop vegetables, grind your own meat, slice vegetable, make bread
> crumbs, chop or grind nuts, shred cheese or vegetables, cut potatoes into
> French fries, julienne vegetables, crush ice, and so on. You can use it

> make short dough like pie pastry and biscuits - anything that needs fat

cut
> into the flour. It can be use to mix cookie dough and make flat icings.
> You can make yeast dough. You can chop chocolate and then pour hot cream
> over it with the blade rotating to make ganache in seconds. A food
> processor can be used to make an emulsion - like mayonnaise. Most of the
> jobs can be done with the metal blade. Some units come with a special

blade
> for dough. Mine has a whisk for egg whites and cream. They all come with

> basic set of disks for thin and thick slicing, fine and coarse shredding,
> and julienne slicing. Some models have additional attachments like citrus
> juicers. Some allow you to mount a blender jar, giving you two appliances
> in on footprint.
>
> To clean mine, I generally just put the bowl, blade, and lid into the
> dishwasher. It can be quickly washed by hand like any other bowl. I do

use
> a brush to clean the blade as it is very sharp and it is dangerous to try

> clean sticky dough off the bade with a cloth.
>
> I keep mine on the counter all the time. It takes about the same amount

of
> space as a coffee maker and less space than most bread machines.
>
> One nice thing about a FP is that you can often do multiple task in the

same
> bowl. For instance, when I make potato salad I start with the dressing.

> put a raw egg in the bowl with some vinegar and the spices that I want in
> the salad - salt, pepper, mustard, celery seeds, hot sauce, etc. Then, I
> start the machine and add oil. This make the mayonnaise based dressing.
> Then I can put in some pickle chunks, onion, celery, and green and red
> pepper - pulsing until the veggies are chopped. In go the boiled eggs
> (which I boiled in the pan with potatoes) and then I pulse. Once the hot
> potatoes are peeled and diced, I add them back to the pot they were boiled
> in and pour over the dressing from the food processor bowl. You can do a
> similar thing with coleslaw, making the dressing in the FP and then
> shredding the cabbage into the same bowl.
>
> If you have no interest in baking and only want some fresh bread, then a
> bread machine makes sense. I know that many people will disagree, but I
> don't think using a bread machine has much to do with baking. To me,

using
> a bread machine and claiming that you bake bread is like putting in a DVD
> and claiming you are an actor.
> Furthermore, it is a singe-use device. You can't make mayo, grind nuts,

or
> shred cheese with a bread machine, but you can do all this and make dough
> with the FP. Therefore, if all you are using a bread machine for is

making