None Given

"EwwHww" > wrote in message
> I was being silly. LOL My brother Danny had heart surgery, and he needed

> lose weight. The doctor told me that eating low fat food alone was not
> enough. He said that all extra calories would turn into fat. The idea was

> take in less calories than was being expended. And to exercise so that the
> body used the fat cells instead of muscle cells. If the body starts

feeding
> of muscle cells the metabolism goes down, and then you could be in worse
> shape than you were before seeing that it takes less food to sustain the
> same weight mass.

You need to get adequate protein to keep from losing much muscle mass, if
you eat too much protein it can raise your BG, if you eat too much food at
once it can raise your BG, if you don't eat often enough it can raise your
BG, carbs are generally the worst as far as BG. You need to eat when you
are hungry, but choose wisely. When you eat carbs you need to have protein
and fat along with them to moderate how fast they hit your bloodstream and
to keep you from feeling too hungry again too fast.

If you don't get enough fat your body will try much harder to hold onto what
you have. What you want to do is figure what weight you want to be,165? and
multiply by 10 or 12, 1650-1980, might be a good range for calories to
support that weight, if you said how much weight you need to lose to get
there, I missed it. I wouldn't aim for more than 1 or 2 pounds per week,
more than that can slow your metabolism. Muscle mass and metabolism are
your friends, try to support them and supply their needs.

Probably in the neighborhood of 100 grams of protein every day would be
about right, if you stick to 30 grams of carb, that gives you 130*4=520
calories, that leaves 1130-1460 calories you need to get from fat, or
125-160 grams or so of fat. The first part of the weight you lose will be
mostly water, if after the first couple of weeks, you are losing faster than
1 or 2 lbs per week, I would up the calories a little, if you are losing
less than 1 lb per week, I would lower the calories a little or increase
exercise, or both. A 500 calorie deficit per day will equal 1 lb per week.

You want to try to get the most nutrition from what you do eat as you can,
look for a variety of veggies and berries to get the most from your limited
# of carbs. It has been found that you need to eat fat with your veggies
for your body to be able to get to the nutrients in the veggies. Fat as in
butter, olive oil, regular dressing, or vinegar and oil dressing, or dip
raw veggies in ranch dip or guacamole. When eating plain yogurt it is said
that you only need to count 4 of the 12 grams of carb per cup of plain
yogurt because the rest has been converted to lactic acid, you can
artificially sweeten and add flavorings if you like. There are studies that
show people eating yogurt lose more weight than people who don't. Also
subtract fiber grams from carb grams when you are adding up your daily
carbs. The fats you need to skew towards are things like nuts, avocados,
olives, and fish, but do get some egg yolks, they are chock full of
vitamins.

www.fitday.com or something like that can help you estimate how many
calories you are expending and help keep track of your calories and
nutrients. You may want to check out news:alt.support.diet.low-carb and
news:alt.support.diabetes (watch out for the trolls) there is a lot of info
available, along with more than the usual number of villains and fools.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes