Ray Calvert

Exactly what I would suggest. When I make a batch of wine from scratch I
like to make 7 gal batches so that I can fill a 6 gal carboy and a 1 gal
carboy. That way when I rack I have plenty to top up with. It works out
very nicely. Oh, before you get to that point, fine a 1/2 gal. jug that you
can use because on first racking you probably will not use the entire extra
gallon. This is a great method of avoiding the topping up problem.

Ray