> FDR wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you

> are an
> > inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody

> worries
> > about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to

> ones
> > head.

> But Radio WAfe, Gamma Ray and Laser are also another form of EMF right.
> Why are they so harmful?

Radio waves aren't particularly harmful, unless you are sitting on
the broadcast antenna of a high power station. Other than that the
big difference is frequency and wavelength. Higher frequency means
shorter wavelengths. When they get short enough to interact with
molecules, then it gets dicy, but that's microwave and beyond.
Also, lasers aren't especially harmful except if they hit your
eye (which is designed to receive light and a laser is a more
powerful light source than your eye is meant to handle). Some
lasers will heat things up, so they could burn you, but that is
no different using a magnifying glass to burn things, just
a more concentrated source.

As for an indcution cooktop, first induction is a different propogation
than EM waves. They are related, but not the same. Yes, there will
also be some EM waves created, but the induction part is about
magnetic eddy currents in metal. Non-magnetic objects will not be
affected. That's why you have to use the right kind of pots, the
induction won't heat up aluminum or some types of stainless steel.
I would not think the acutal EM radiation to be any more than
your average toaster, and possibly less.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.