Mike Avery

Ida Slapter wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:56:09 -0600, Eric Jorgensen
> wrote:
>

>>I also believe that it's entirely appropriate for a
>>convicted felon such as Martha Stewart to have to wear a cumbersome
>>tracking device while under house arrest - just to remind 'em that they're
>>still being punished.
>>

>How do you feel about conticted and released sexual preditors?

I'm not sure what either of these have to do with baking.

In Martha Stewart's case, she hasn't finished serving her sentence.
She's on probation, and the tracking device is part of her sentence.

In the case of sexual predators, there are some real issues. If they
are out on probation, they should be tracked like any other parolee.
However, should a person be marked for life because of something they
did and served a sentence for? Should they have another chance at a
normal life. Registration has caused some real problems for people who
are trying to get their lives back together. Some people have made
independent copies of the sexual offender lists and put them on-line.
And, while you can get off the government's lists, you can't get off the
independent ones - there are just too many of them. Which doesn't seem
at all fair.

So, I'd like say yes, they should have a chance at a normal life, but
the recidivism rate on sexual offenders is shockingly high. Until we
have therapy that really, really works, until we have therapy and
analysis that can accurately predict which offender will return to their
illegal ways, registration is the least of the evils.

Mike