Derek

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:40:02 -0400, Sprang > wrote:
>In article .net>,
> "rick" > wrote:

[..]
>> > It takes more grain to produce meat than to produce grain. More
>> > than half
>> > of America's crop production is fed to livestock.

>> ======================
>> ROTLMAO You have proof of that claim, right?

>I guess I'll have to do the research for you tomorrow, meat industry
>apologist. It has been a while since I looked into that, but that's the
>number I remember. Or do you already have an idea of how much
>grain in the U.S goes to livestock?

'..according to FAO (199lc) the cereal grains consumed
directly per capita are just a small fraction of the total per
capita cereal grains consumption (directly and indirectly)
in the United States. In fact, of the total domestic
consumption of cereal grains 72% are used to feed
livestock, 11% are for direct human consumption, and the
remaining 17% are used by the food industry to produce
different food products and alcoholic beverages. Therefore,
almost 90% of the cereal grains are consumed indirectly
by Americans. A similar pattern occurs for soybeans
and oil seeds. A large fraction of soybeans is used for
feeding livestock, either directly or in the form of
by-products (bean meal) of soy oil production, and in the
food industry to produce soy oil for human consumption.'
http://dieoff.org/page55.htm