gerald

1. Spring for the $20 or so, and get wine-searcher pro.
2. The expert attitude on a given Brunello vintage changes radically
from year to year, and does not settle down until about 10 years out.
3. I find variation from one producer to another in a given vintage
to be very great, as opposed to many other Italian wines(Barolo,
Amarone) that seem to be similar in a give vintage.
4. Due to the considerable style variation of Burnello, there is
great variation within a single vintage.
5. Tuscany vintage charts are not particularly applicable to
Montalcino(97 was not thought to be too good. and 98 is considered by
many to be better). I have had some 92-96's chosen by the owners of
restaurants in Montalcino that were very nice, and those are not great
years in Tuscany.
6. When the experts took back their VOC(vintage of century) rating of
97, and bestowed it on 98, the bottom dropped out of the prices of
the97's, many of which are wonderful.
7. The expert for these wines is probably Gamberio Rosso.