Clifford Payne

Reply at bottom, in keeping with the odd conventions of this list.

"MRTL" > wrote in message
> On one wonderful gastronomical road trip, we traveled from NC (no sauce)
> to SC (yellow sauce) to GA (light/tart red sauce) to points west
> (heavy/sweet red sauce). From a bbq viewpoint, we literally pigged out.
> The folks in North Carolina insisted that:
>
> 1. The only BBQ is pulled pork
> 2. If you can't get it right, add sauce
> 3. BBQ came from Haiti to NC, then spread
>
> When we were off the beaten path in SC we found a yellow BBQ sauce that
> was tart and based on mustard. Really great stuff, but we have no idea
> what was really in it and though we've seen a couple of recipes nothing
> has come even close to what we had there.

I came late to this thread, but since mustard sauces have a long tradition
here in Pittsburgh, I thought I'd chime in anyway.

Google "Big Daddy's North Carolina Sauce". I make it for crowds; people
love it. I hope it works for you. If you can't find it, PEM me and I'll
forward a copy.

Another potential source, since you're not crazy about cheap yellow mustard,
is any Steve Raichlen barbecue book. He's fond of using Dijon mustard for
sauces. Try Borders or Barnes and Noble, either of them will let you stand
around and read enough to find out whether you want to buy the book.

Heck, you could probably find a good looking recipe and write it down right
in the bookstore.

cliff, from pgh