Alex Rast

at Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:37:53 GMT in
Humana) wrote :
>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
.. .

>> do you think would work best?

>> > I vote for the shortbread or the pate sucre....

>> Another poster suggested a cookie crumb crust - that's another idea...

>My concern about the cookie crumb crust is that it might be difficult to
>rem ove from a form and it might not hold together on the plate.

Yes, that was one of my worries, too, with all of the different types of
crusts. Of course with a custard filling you can't invert anything, which
means they have to be eased out. It'd be nice if they had tart tins with a
removable bottom, but I've not seen these in the size I'd like (4" round).
I think also with any kind of crumb or cookie crust, in addition to the
sticking problem, there's the problem of getting it in there in the first
place. It's hard to do that with small tart tins, where it seems to be much
easier to roll out whatever dough you're using and press it in.

On these grounds I could also nix the graham cracker recommendation, but I
would anyway - the strong flavour and rough texture of the graham crackers
I think would overwhelm a custard filling where the primary flavour is
vanilla.

--
Alex Rast