Alex Rast

at Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:30:05 GMT in
Humana) wrote :
>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Fairly soon I'll be making some custard tartlets for a party. ...which

do you think would work best?

>> Butter-based pie dough
>> Sweet pastry dough - more or less a sugary pie dough
>> Shortbread
>> Puff Pastry

> I vote for the shortbread or the pate sucre. ...The puff pastry would be
>the wrong texture and too bland, in my opinion.
>The pate brisee would also be sort of bland and too conventional

Thanks. Very well-reasoned. I think you're right - the unsweetened doughs
will end up tasting very bland. Thus it comes down to texture. As you know,
a shortbread dough ends up quite firm and crisp - and this elicited
favourable comments from people in the past who liked the counterpoint
of crisp crust and creamy filling, while the sweet dough would be more
tender - perhaps not so texturally satisfying but less of a challenge
with a fork. Some people, I've seen, aren't happy when things are a bit
difficult to manage on the plate. Any thoughts on which one would be
more preferable?

On phyllo - it sounds like a great idea but this is something I have no
experience with. When baking for a group I like to stick with things I
know and have done. If I'm doing it for myself, *then* I can experiment.

Another poster suggested a cookie crumb crust - that's another idea, but
I'd only want to do it if somebody has a recipe for making the right types
of cookies from scratch. I prefer not to use any storebought prepared
foods in baking. Does anybody have a recipe I could compare against?

--
Alex Rast