Stan Marks

Default Cooking for a family reunion

This weekend, my mother's family is having a long-overdue reunion. The
luncheon will be "pot-luck smorgasbord" style, and I plan to cook some
ribs as our contribution. I have a couple of questions for those of you
who have some experience in cooking for a crowd...

First of all, I plan to actually cook the ribs Friday evening,
refrigerate them overnight, and re-heat them in the smoker Saturday
morning. (It's a 2-1/2 hour drive to the state park where the reunion
is being held, so it would be impractical to try to get there early
enough to cook them on site.) Should I wrap them in f*il to re-heat
them or not? Any other suggestions?

Secondly, the best "guesstimate" I've been able to come up with is that
there will be about 35-40 people there, including children. Since I'm
cooking these ribs as just another entrée and not as the "main course",
how many slabs should I plan for? I'm figuring that two ribs per person
should be about average, which would mean about 6 slabs. Does this
sound like enough, or should I plan for more? (I would rather have some
ribs left over to send home with my daughters than to run the risk of
having someone go without.

Lastly, while I think that I can fit 6 slabs of ribs in the ECB, I've
found that our local Home Depot does have rib racks, which would allow
me to set the ribs on the grills vertically. Do any of you use rib
racks, and, if so, what are your results?

Thanks in advance for your help with this project!

Stan Marks