jacqui{JB}

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> The first and only time I ate Sachertorte, too was
> at the Cafe Sacher in Vienna -- I can see it now --
> but I was disappointed. I returned home and found
> a recipe, I believe it was from Chef Tell's book, but
> it's been so long ago. [I googled and didn't find his
> sachertorte.] But the recipe I made was so darned
> delicious and so DIFFERENT from what I ate there.
> Wonder why that was. However, I never made it again.
> At the time it didn't seem very easy for me to make.
> Also I've never liked cakes very much -- except one
> little place in an alley in Paris where I found a cake that
> seemed to fall onto the plate, very moist, looked like it
> was heavy chocolate and it was customarily served with
> honey all over it. I went back every day for that piece
> of cake. I often wonder about that cake.

I must confess that I wasn't quite as keen on the Sachertorte at the Sacher
Cafe as I would have liked to be. The gift from an Austrian colleague of my
husband of individual little Sachertortes (four to a box, if I recall
correctly) was much tastier and less dry. As Margaret said, Schlag is
necessary (and delightful).

> Nice to share -- thanks for telling that you went
> to Cafe Sacher in Vienna.

It's a pleasure. I'm still so bowled over to be traveling (which I
never expected to be able to do -- and then I married a Dane who travels ...
who woulda thunk?), I'm always happy to talk about it -- always hoping, of
course, that people don't take it the wrong way.
-j