Margaret Suran

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Her Subj." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> I'm making this version of the Sacher Torte tomorrow and will let
>> you know how it turns out!
>>

> The first and only time I ate Sachertorte, too was at the Cafe
> Sacher in Vienna -- I can see it now -- but I was disappointed. I
> returned home and found a recipe, I believe it was from Chef Tell's
> book, but it's been so long ago. [I googled and didn't find his
> sachertorte.] But the recipe I made was so darned delicious and so
> DIFFERENT from what I ate there. Wonder why that was. However, I
> never made it again. At the time it didn't seem very easy for me
> to make. Also I've never liked cakes very much -- except one
> little place in an alley in Paris where I found a cake that seemed
> to fall onto the plate, very moist, looked like it was heavy
> chocolate and it was customarily served with honey all over it. I
> went back every day for that piece of cake. I often wonder about
> that cake. Nice to share -- thanks for telling that you went to
> Cafe Sacher in Vienna. Dee

Sachertorte is a rather dry and dense cake and only really good if it
is accompanied by a large serving of Schlag. Substituting ground
walnuts for all or part of the flour will result in a moister cake,
but then it is not the original recipe and neither are the ones that
use separated eggs with the egg whites stiffly beaten. There must be
hundreds of different ways to make Sachertorte and probably none
exactly like the original one at Sacher's. For all we know, even that
one may have changed through the years.