Boron Elgar

On 17 Apr 2005 14:55:23 -0700, "Her Subj." >
wrote:

>I think ciabatta most certainly has a flavor...perhaps it comes from
>different ingredients, say, olive oil or milk that is used sometimes,
>but I find it to be avery flavorful bread. At least with my ciabatta,
>it was definitely not as tasteful as ciabatta I've had from some
>bakeries around town.
>
>I kind of liken ciabatta to a less-dense and wider (typically) french
>bread. I also think the flavor of ciabatta leans more towards the
>"savory" side.

There is an excellent web site, one of whose creators posts to Usenet,
that has extensive writing about ciabatta, as well as other Italian
breads and foods. They are a fine source of information and may give
you some hints or you may find a recipe that is more to your liking
than Reinhart's.

This will take you right to their main bread page.

http://www.theartisan.net/bredfrm.htm

I did read in one of your post (IIRC) that you used a half recipe.
Sometimes, when trying a bread recipe for the first time, it can be
tricky to halve the ingredients. Something may have not worked well
because of that.

In addition to suggestions others have made, there are any number of
reasons why a loaf fails and, as anyone who bakes bread regularly can
tell you, sometimes you can tell what went wrong and sometimes it
remains a mystery as the next time the recipe is used, everything
works. Flour and water are quite cheap and though we invest our time
and efforts, the experimenting can be fun. It can take awhile to
perfect a recipe, even when it comes from a book or author that is a
trusted source.

If you wish to conquer the Reinhart recipe, forge on, or try another
that may result in something more to your tastes.

Boron